Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Puppy Proofing a house? Who da thunk?

So, of course I'm super excited about getting a dog, so what else can I do but research puppies and what it's like to own a dog. I've grown up with dogs, but my mom was the one who did all the work. I guess I'm doing what expecting mothers do; protect their "baby." So I've made a list of things I have to do before the puppy comes on April 15th.

Around the house
  • Put away floor plants, decorations, shoes, and clothing
  • Keep loose articles off the floor such as shoes and clothes
  • Secure window shade ropes and anything that dangles
  • Put away objects on coffee tables that might smell or look like they can become a toy
  • Put away anything breakable or up high, especially it's at tail level
  • Secure all bookshelves/bookcases
  • Lock up cupboards and secure hazardous materials
  • Secure phone wires and electric cord
  • Protect anything made of wood including table and chair legs. Try using a pet repellent like "Bitter Apple"
  • Get covered garbage cans that wont open if tipped over.
  • Buy two baby gates
  • Check name of all house plants and plants in yard to see if any are poisonous.
  • Make a list of people food that dogs can't eat
  • Get ammonia free cleaning products

In the yard
  • Put away garden hoses, tools, and plastic toys.
  • Fence off garden area and check fencing for escape routes and potential places puppy can get stuck
  • Put away chemicals and potential poisons (lawn fertilizers, insecticides, and paint products)
  • Wash off sidewalks and remove all salt residue.

No comments:

Post a Comment