Friday, May 22, 2009

Grammar Police #1

Okay...I've noticed some of my grammar pet peeves in action too often this week.

"I" vs. "me"

Bob and I are going golfing.

That's correct for the nominative case; you and Bob are the subjects of the sentence. This does not work if you and Bob are the objects of the sentence. This sentence is an abomination:

The man gave scissors to Bob and I.

That sentence hurt my brain. If Bob was not part of the story, would you say this?

The man gave scissors to I.

No, you wouldn't say that. Polite forms of speech do not take precedence over grammar. The proper sentence in this case is:

The man gave scissors to me.

If you're talking about yourself and another person the proper form is:

The man gave scissors to Bob and me.

I know that sounds wrong, but it's better than "Bob and I." If you would like it to sound even better, ditch your notions of the polite and say:

The man gave scissors to me and Bob.
As far as I know, there's no grammatical difference between "me and Jane" and "Jane and me."

No comments:

Post a Comment